Monday, September 03, 2012

Recommended Reading

I thought I would share with you some of the blogs and books I have been reading that have helped me as I declutter my surroundings and work towards the goal of simplifying and minimizing my possessions and time-commitments down to the truly important.

The following are listed in no particular order. by Courtney Carver is a lovely site.  She has written two excellent e-books:  Simple Ways to Be More With Less and Living in the Land of Enough is the home of Francine Jay, the author of The Joy of Less, A Minimalist Living Guide, a book I highly recommend as well. Is Tammy Strobel's very interesting blog where I first learned about tiny homes.  Her new book, You Can Buy Happiness (and It's Cheap): How One Woman Radically Simplified Her Life and How You Can Too will be out sometime this month, and I can't wait to read it!

Leo Babauta is a name well-known in minimalist and simple living circles.  He is considered by many to be the Godfather of this movement.  You can find his writings at and  Two of his more popular books are The Power of Less: The Fine Art of Limiting Yourself to the Business and in Life and The Effortless Life:  A Manual for Contentment, Mindfulness, & Flow by Sandra never ceases to challenge me.  I always look forward to her posts. is co-written by two good friends,  Joshua Fields Millburn and Ryan Nicodemus, who call themselves "The Minimalists."  They are one of my more recent "finds" and I have been gleaning a good deal from their writings.  They also have a collection of their essays put together in book format:  Minimalism:  Essential Essays

This is by no means a comprehensive list!  There are so many excellent authors out there who are embracing the concept of minimizing and simplifying to live a more full and satisfying life.  However, what I have listed above should definitely give a seeker plenty of food for thought.  Enjoy!


*Michelle* said...

Has anyone managed to do this who have children, is what I'm wondering. It sounds so freeing and wonderful! Thanks for the links. :)

MicheleStitches said...

Hi Michelle,

Yes, people with children DO manage to live this way! Leo Babauta of "Zen Habits" has 4-5 children, I believe. Joshua Becker, who I neglected to include in my list above, is also a father. I have 7 kids, but only 2 of them are still at home...but I guess I still count! :-)


Related Posts with Thumbnails