Thursday, January 25, 2007

Socks and Teaching an Old Dog New Tricks.

Wanna' see my latest project? Here it is:


(My apologies for such a poor photo. The color is off and it isn't the clearest. I will try to replace it with one that is better soon. However, if I take the time to fiddle with my camera and get a perfect photo, I will not have time to actually write anything!)

Yes, that strange distorted object is a soon-to-be sock! I have knitted down the leg and have rounded the heel (which, I am told, is the hardest part) and am now heading towards the toe. The yarn is Reynolds Swizzle. I chose that yarn for my first pair of handmade socks mainly because it was available at my LYS (local yarn store) which provides instant gratification (no waiting for packages to be delivered). But the other big reason is that it was cheap (as far as sock yarn goes). I hope to someday soon order some nice sock yarn from somewhere like The Loopy Ewe which is run by someone who seems to be one of the nicest ladies in America. You can view her blog here: Sheri's blog.

And yes, those needles are wickedly sharp! Here is a better view for you to see.



They are the double pointed needles distributed by Knit Picks. I really can not give you a fair assessment of them because I am not in a good position to judge. There are many reasons for this. (1) I have not used DPN's much at all. (2) I have not done much, if any, knitting with yarn and needles this small and I have never made socks so I don't really have any previous projects to compare it to. (3) I am trying to learn to knit in a new way, and so I feel like a clumsy beginner, so I can not judge if it is the needles or my own ineptness.

You see, I am a firm believer that old dogs can learn new tricks, or maybe I am just a little crazy. That is why I decided to learn violin when I was in my upper 30's, which is not exactly the normal time in life to get started on the violin. That is also why I have decided to learn to knit continental. I was just a kid when I learned to cast on and knit a basic stitch. I didn't do much more than knit Barbie scarves until I was pregnant with my first son. It seemed the right thing to do, so I got a teach-yourself-knitting book and knit a blanket. Since then, I have knit on and off for the last 18 years in the traditional American way. Well, lately I have seen more and more folks who knit continental, and it just looks so much more efficient and faster! Why not try it? All I can say is that it has given me a great appreciation for folks who are just learning to knit or crochet. I have had to go through that whole fumbly-fingers-feeling all over again. However, I am getting the hang of it and I can see why so many might prefer that style.

Oh, and I am still caffeine free. Do you know how hard that is to do when my son goes to work at Starbucks every morning and brings home coffee beans every week?? My goal is not to never have coffee again, but to not NEED coffee. I want to save it for the occasional treat. I just seem to be one of those folks who shouldn't have caffeine every day...it effects my muscle and joint pain too much.

5 comments:

kimodified said...

ooh ooh I was considering learning to do socks ... those look really FUN!

... I'm a little apprehensive of all those many needles.

I think only having a little coffee now & then is a great idea. I wish I could do that. But I've always been sort of all-or-nothing, and each time I've tried to go back to having just a little, I fall all the way off the wagon and get run over by it. :-/

Tracy Batchelder said...

Your sock looks great! Much better than the first one I ever made. I like the yarn.

Jennifer said...

Great looking socks! Keep up the good work.

Marcia said...

I like your yarn too! Nice colors. As for knitting socks, it really is easy once you get the hang of it. I highly recommend clover bamboo needles. Oooo they just feel so nice. the metal needles always cause bruises on my fingers - but I tend to knit as a way to deal with stress. ;)

Way to go on being caffeine free! I enjoy an occasional cup of tea, but just as a treat. It's nice.

MicheleStitches said...

I wonder why it is saying there are 3 comments when actually there are 4??? I almost missed #4 because there were 3 the last time I checked and so I assumed there were no changes. Hmmm...this is a test comment to see if the number will go up or if it will still say "3 comments" on my screen.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails